Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rolls with Italian herbs


This is already the fourth month I bake with pre-mixed flour of Schmidt. This month I choose Rex Milano. As the name suggests it’s filled with Italian herbs, sundried tomatoes and cheese. The kitchen smelled like a pizzeria. It’s easy dough to work with. The only question that came to my mind was about adding salt. I followed the recipe Schmidt gave me and didn’t include salt and it turned out ok.

The rolls smell very Italian and the soft crumb has a nice yellow golden color. This roll goes well with soup. It’s nice to taste bits of sundried tomatoes and Italian herbs.

ready to proof

Specifics
Name                                       Rolls with Italian herbs
Adapted from 
                         Schmidt
Yields                                       7 rolls
Dough temp.                            24°C
Mixing                                      2 + 6 minutes (medium consistency)
Fermentation                           60 minutes
Shape                                      rolls
Proof at roomtemp.                 60 – 90 minutes until fully
Bake 220°C                              20 minutes

This is what I used:

Bakers formula                      %          grams
Flour                                      100       500
Water                                      52        260
Salt                                          0          0         

Final Dough
Rex Milano                                           250
Unbleached AP                                     250
Olive oil                                               15
Yeast                                                   7.5
Salt (in Rex Milano)                               0
Water                                                  260

This is what I did:
The dough: all ingredients are mixed until all was well combined, this took about 2 minutes. Then I mixed on second speed for 6 minutes. The dough should be supple, with moderate gluten development.

Bulk Fermentation:
 transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 1  hour. 

Shaping: I divided the dough into 7 pieces and loosely pre shaped into balls. Covered with a towel and left for 15 minutes to rest. I shaped all balls firmly and placed them in to proof.  

Proofing: I proofed the rolls for 90 minutes until they are fluffy. This depends on the temperature in your kitchen.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 220°C.

Preparing and Baking: I baked the rolls for 20 minutes until the tops were golden.

Cooling: Let the rolls cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread


1 comment: