Friday, January 29, 2016

Sourdough sprouted wheat loaf with a biga

This time Zorra of Kochtopf and the host for BBD 79 and initiator of the Bread Baking Day and World Bread Day asked us to bake with a Biga (a firm preferment, which is used mainly in Italian breads). Zorra also asked us to experiment. I think I did. 

In Chad Robertson's latest book, Tartine No. 3, Modern, Ancient, Classic, I found a recipe with sprouted wheat that appealed to me. In fact all loaves appeal to me, but that is for next time. Chad uses leaven for his loaves and I used a biga because I love to participate with the Bread Baking Day. Instead of high-extraction wheat flour and medium strong bread flour I used flour 550 and added sprouted wheat.

We found organic wheat berry and they sprouted beautifully. It took me 4 days to get this freshly sprouted wheat 

Normally I use my electric mixer for kneading dough. But, not today. Chad uses his hands instead. He uses “the master method” for most of his breads. I followed Chad’s instructions used my hands and let time do the rest. 

I proofed the dough in the refrigerator and it proofed very well. When I wanted to transfer it to the Dutch oven it almost slipped out of my hands, it was so full of bubbles. I was happy not to burn myself and didn't care for the shape. 

The result is good smelling, very good tasting and healthy bread. I will definitely bake this again!

Makes: 1 big loaf
Adapted from: Tartine No 3 by Chad Robertson

I baked the loaf in a Dutch oven (cast iron pan) in the oven

0.5 grams yeast, 81 grams unbleached flour (550), 44 grams water

Place the ingredients in a bowl, stir and cover the bowl with a lid and let the biga rise overnight in the refrigerator for approx. 16 hours.

Sprouted wheat
125 grams sprouted wheat

Place the wheat berry in a glass jar, cover with water and leave for 6 hours. Discard the water and rinse the kernels, cover with linen cloth and leave it. Minimal 2 times a day rinse the kernels making sure you move them around so they get a lot of oxygen. Drain the water and cover the jar with the cloth. Depending on the weather you might see tiny sprouts after 2 days. For me the sprouts were long enough after 5 days (average day temp. of 15°C, very cold for us). 

125 grams leaven, 425 grams water, 100 grams rye flour, 250 grams unbleached flour (550), 35 grams wheat germ, 12.5 grams salt

Pour water into a large bowl. Add the biga and the flours. Use your hands to mix the dough until all of the dry bits of flour have been incorporated.  So I wet my hand and worked the dough until no dry bits of flour remained. Let the dough rest for 25 to 40 minutes. Then add the salt and knead until fully incorporated.  

Transfer the dough to a plastic container with lid. Leave for bulk fermentation for 3 or 4 hours, until it doubled. Every 40 minutes stretch and fold the dough (stretches a corner of the dough onto the main dough, fold it like an envelope).  After 2 stretch and folds gently fold in the sprouted wheat.
I left it in the plastic container to proof in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning I pre heated the oven to 250°C and placed the Dutch oven in the oven.
After about 1 hour the Dutch oven is sizzling hot, be careful and work quickly to keep the heat in the oven.

I took the lid of the Dutch oven and quickly placed the loaf in. Quickly put the lid back on the pan and place it in the hot oven. Bake with lid on for 30 minutes. Then take the lid off and bake another 20-30 minutes until the loaf is nicely brown colored.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. This loaf smelled so good. Enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Keen to experiment, hands and love and you get a perfect loaf! Thank you for participating! See you next month, I am sure you will find also a recipe in the book. ;-)