Thursday, April 16, 2015

Krusti's or crusty rolls



In the Netherlands you can buy these delicious crusty rolls. Long before I baked my own bread and long before I had any idea about sourdough I knew there was something with these rolls. Regardless of the time of day you came into the bakery shop and buy these crusty rolls, they would ALWAYS be crusty. Not like the rolls I made, after a while they turn softer. Of course when you placed them in the oven for a few minutes they are crusty again. But, mine never stayed crusty the whole day. 
Until I found these crispy rolls on Stefanie's blog Hefe und Mehr. Stefanie said "to turn on convection mode for the last 10-15 min while opening the oven door ajar". Since I have no convection mode on my oven she suggests: "reducing the temperature to 220°C after you put the rolls in the oven and bake them with falling heat a little bit longer than normal. That creates a thicker crust which normally stays longer crispy".
I have to admit it's difficult for me to bake them, because my oven doesn't have a proper working temperature sensor so I always guess the precise temperature. Most of the time I bake on the highest temperature and this works for most of my loaves. 

nice crumb
tasty krusti's 

They taste good!
yields 18 rolls
Poolish
250g flour Type 550
250g Water
0.5g active dry yeast or 1g fresh yeast
Dough
All the polish
800g flour
40g Egg white (I omitted this)
85g Milk
300g Water
100g Butter
1.5g active dry yeast or 3g fresh yeast
20g Salt
Glazing
2g Starch
100g Water
The day before bakingday: mix all ingredients for the Poolish and ferment for 12 hours on a warm place (about 25°C).
On baking day: dissolve the yeast in the milk, add water, flour, (egg white,) salt and poolish and knead 5 min at slowest speed, then around 11 min on fast speed until complete gluten development. Add butter and knead for about 2 min until complete in cooperated.
Ferment overnight for 3 hours.
Divide the dough into pieces of about 100g each. Roll each piece into a 30 cm string, then cut the string into two half of 15 cm length each. Place one piece on top of the other and roll into one log.
Proof the rolls seam side down for 60 min. Pre-heat the oven to 250°C in the meantime, prepare for steam. For glazing, cook starch with water and let cool to room temperature
Before baking turn the rolls upside down and bake at 250°C for 20 min with steam. Open the oven door to release the steam, glaze again and bake another 10 min to get a crispy crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment