Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sourdough Walnut Raisin Bread


I was happy to see it’s time for Zorra’s Bread Baking Day. This is the 72nd time and the host is Tanja of Greenway36.Tanja came up with the great theme: Nuts.

I found a nice recipe for sourdough bread with walnut and raisins. I used my Dutch oven and it came out looking very nice and smelling even better. It was a bit denser than I had anticipated but still a very nice tasting and smelling loaf. We ate it with cheese, homemade jams and tahini. And it’s also very nice by itself.

I can’t wait to see all the other Nutty loaves.




Specifics
Name                                       Sourdough Walnut Raisin Bread
Adapted from                          The Clever Carrot
Yields                                       1 loaf
Dough temp.                            24°C
Autolyse                                  120 minutes
Mixing                                      by hand until it comes together
Fermentation                            min. 8 hours in refrigerator
Stretch and Fold                        4 times
Shape                                        boulle
Proof at roomtemp.                  60 minutes
Bake 230°C                              60 minutes; 20 with lid and 40 without lid, last 10 min. cracked door
                                               
This is what I used:
Bakers formula                      %          grams
Flour                                        100       575
Water                                       73        425
Salt                                          1.7       10       

Dough
Starter 100% active                             150
Unbleached all purpose flour                500      
Water                                                  350
Salt                                                      10                                                       
Walnuts chopped                                   65
Raisins                                                 65

Cornmeal for dusting
Dutch oven

This is what I did:
The night before I started to feed the starter so it was active the next morning.

The next morning I chopped the walnuts the same size as the raisins. I combined the flour, water and starter. I mixed it with my hands until all was combined. And covered it with plastic, left it for autolyse for 1 hour.

Then I added the salt and folded it over itself several times. Until it comes together into a rough ball. Then I added the walnuts and raisins. I gently mixed them in the dough.

Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 2  hour. 

Stretch and Fold: during the first 2 hours of bulk fermentation stretch and fold the dough onto itself every 30 minutes.
Place the plastic container with the dough in the refrigerator for the night.
The next morning take out the dough and let it adjust to the room temperature.

Shaping: I loosely shaped the dough into a boulle, covered with a towel and left for 15 minutes to rest. I shaped it into a tighter boulle and placed it in a plastic bag.

Proofing: I proofed the loaf for 60 minutes.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and placed the Dutch oven on the baking stone.

Baking: When the oven is hot enough I very carefully transferred the boulle to the Dutch oven and quickly closed the lid and closed the oven door. I baked the loaf 20 minutes with the lid on and and quickly removed the lid. I baked the loaf for another 40 minutes without the lid. Bake the loaf until it is dark brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Tanja’s Greenway36

2 comments: