Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sourdough with soybeans

In his latest book "Tartine No. 3, Modern, Ancient, Classic, Whole" by Chad Robertson I found a recipe with 10% wheat-rye that appealed to me. In fact most recipes appeal to me, but they are for next time. Chad uses High-extraction wheat flour and medium strong bread flour. I used flour 550 and found dried soybeans in my pantry.

In Thailand you find a lot of soybeans. Our neighbors grow them and we all eat, drink or use soybean products. At most markets you find fresh soymilk with Patongo (a Thai version of doughnut). You find non-fermented and fermented products of soybeans, oil, meal, flour and so on. There is a long list of health benefits of soybeans. And they taste good. So it’s time to soak them.

soybeans incorporated in the dough
Normally I use my electric mixer for kneading dough. But, not today. Chad uses his hands instead. He uses “the master method” for most of his breads. I followed Chad’s instructions, I used my hands and let time do the rest. The result is a good looking, good smelling, good tasting and healthy bread.

Makes: 1 big loaf
Adapted from: Tartine No 3 by Chad Robertson

0.5 tablespoon mature starter, 70 grams unbleached flour (550), 70 grams water
Place the mature starter in a bowl and feed it with flour and water. Cover the bowl with a lid and let the starter rise overnight.
75 grams soybeans, 200 grams water
Place the soybeans in a bowl and add 200 grams water. Cover and leave for the night.  
150 grams leaven, 425 grams water, 300 grams unbleached flour (550), 100 grams spelt flour, 50  grams rye flour,  50 grams wheat flour, 35 grams wheat germ, 75 grams soaked soybeans, 12 grams salt

I tested the leaven using the float test (a bit floats on the water). 

Pour warm water into a large bowl.  Add the leaven and stir to disperse.  Add the flours. Use your hands to mix the dough until all of the dry bits of flour have been incorporated.  So I wet my hand and worked the dough until no dry bits of flour remained. Let the dough rest for 25 to 40 minutes. Then add the salt and the soaked soybeans and knead until fully incorporated.  

Transfer the dough to a plastic container with lid. Leave for bulk fermentation for 3 or 4 hours, until it doubled. Every 40 minutes stretch and fold the dough (stretches a corner of the dough onto the main dough, fold it like an envelope).

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. I wanted to bake a large loaf. I dusted a kitchen towel with a lot of flour and placed the dough on it. I placed the kitchen towel in a banneton so it wouldn’t lose it shape. I left it to proof for 2 hours. Because it was very hot in the kitchen, I placed the dough in the refrigerator. 

In the mean time I pre heated the oven to 250°C and placed the Dutch oven on the lowest level.

After about 1 hour the Dutch oven is sizzling hot, be careful and work quickly to keep the heat in the oven.

Take the lid of the Dutch oven and quickly place the loaf in. Quickly score the loaf with a double sided razor and close the lid and the oven. Bake with lid for 30 minutes. Then take the lid off and bake another 30 minutes until the loaf is nicely brown colored.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. This loaf smelled so good. Enjoy it!

I send this loaf to Susans YeastSpotting. Don’t forget to visit Wild Yeast, there is so much to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment