Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Apple, Yoghurt, Rye and Cinnamon Sourdough Loaf


I bought some nice apples and I have homemade yoghurt in the refrigerator. I always have unbleached flour and rye in my pantry and the sourdough is ready for use.  So all I need is a nice recipe to combine this into a delicious loaf of bread.

I love what the people in Bourke Street Bakery make. Since I’m not going to Australia in the near future, I’ll bake what they share in their books. I’m happy that recipes are free of copyright and we can share them. Of course I mention and thank the creators of the recipe. I know that having the book is more fun than having just a recipe. 

Enough talking, it’s time to move to the kitchen and bake.

It’s a delicious smelling and fresh tasting loaf. I mixed the apple with the cinnamon before adding to the dough. This way you taste apple and cinnamon together instead of tasting cinnamon with each bite. It was the first time I used fresh apple in bread and it will not be the last time. 






Specifics
Name                                       Apple, Yoghurt, Rye and Cinnamon Sourdough Loaf
Adapted from 
                          Bourke Street Bakery
Found at                                   EatLove
Yields                                       2 medium loaves
Dough temp.                             24°C
Mixing                                      10 minutes (full consistency)
Fermentation                            1 hours
Stretch and Fold                       1 time after 30 minutes        
Proof in fridge                          1 hour
Score                                        cross
Bake 230°C                               35 minutes
This is what I used:
Bakers formula                         %          grams
Flour                                        100       470
Water                                       57        270
Salt                                          2.1       10


Final Dough
40g white starter, 110 g Rye flour, 340 g All Purpose flour, 2.5 tablespoons yoghurt (I used homemade), 
250 ml water, 3.3 g dried instant yeast (or 10 g fresh yeast), 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar and 10 g sea salt.

Filling
165 g apples sliced, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.

                                                        
This is what I did:

The starter: feed the starter the evening before baking day. 

The dough
:
Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix until you have soft, smooth dough. I mixed for 4 minutes on low and 6 minutes on second speed. Add the apple/cinnamon mix.

Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 1 hour. Stretch and Fold 1 time after 30 minutes.

Shaping and filling: Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface. Divide the dough into two even-sized portions, about 500 g. Shape the loaves into  rounds. Place the loaves on a baking tray lined with baking paper, seam side down. Place in the refrigerator loosely covered with a plastic bag for 1 hour.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C.

Remove the loaves from the refrigerator and let them rest in a humid place (25°C) — this could take anywhere between 30 minutes and 1½ hours — until each loaf has grown in size by two-thirds.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaves on parchment on a peel and scored with a cross slash. Transfer to the oven and quickly slide the loaves on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.
I baked the loaves 10 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the loaves for another 25 minutes. Bake the loaves until brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaves cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s weekly showcase YeastSpotting

No comments:

Post a Comment