Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Egg in Cradle

This is the last month of BYOB’s Featured Bread Blog. As you know, we visited MC of Farine. And again there was so much to choose from, did you see her Focaccia made with homemade squash flour? 
Maybe an idea for the 20 pumpkins in our living room. Some friends had a field full of about 3000 of these nice orange and white “Japanese” pumpkins. I don’t know if they are Japanese, but this is how I call them. I love to roast these pumpkins with some herbs, salt and pepper and toss the slices over a salad. Or just eat roasted. There are also nice Thai desserts with pumpkin. And we like pumpkin with tofu and Thai basil. And maybe I even try to make homemade squash flour, like MC. 

But, enough Pumpkin-talk. I fell in love with MC’s Egg in Cradle
It looks cute and it is delicious! Of course I should have baked her rolls, but…… I didn’t. I have no chestnut flour and have no idea where to get it. We did see fresh chestnuts. Along the most Northern Thai border with Myanmar, at Mae Sai, they sell chestnuts all year round. I thought of using these, but they are roasted. So, I’m not sure if I can use these. But, I’ll keep searching.

For now I used the great Potato rolls with Lievito Madre as a cradle. 
I hollowed out the rolls, poured two spoon full of homemade yoghurt, MC uses crème fraîche. Add salt and pepper, chives and break the egg open into the hole. 
Top with grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 200°C. 

Egg Eruption
Before it was time, I was seduced by the delicious smell of melted cheese. Peter and I  shared 3 rolls; all that was left from our breakfast. Even though normally 1 egg is enough for me, I could have had another egg in a cradle (and probably another!) It’s a great evening meal with a nice salad, but also a nice breakfast meal and we would eat it for lunch too.

MC, next time I bake your rolls too, but for now: Thanks for sharing these amazingly delicious eggs in cradles.  


I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread

What did you bake this month? Don’t forget to show it. 

2 comments:

  1. That looks sooo good! Love the shot of the rolls cut in half! I'm a fellow bread head and love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, good to see a fellow bread head, love your blog too.

    ReplyDelete