Thursday, September 13, 2012

Seeded Brioche Hamburger Buns

As you might know every month BYOB features a blog. This month our featured blog is Stephanie’s Girl versus Dough. Do you love to have a look at blogs on baking bread? Strolling through their recipes, peeking in their kitchen, learning something new, being surprised by new combinations and getting inspired? I do.
When you see Stephanie’s blog, you get all those things. I did and found good looking Hamburger Buns. I never before made Brioche dough and I love new experiences. My choice was made; I was going for Stephanie’s Seeded Brioche Hamburger Buns. Peter made some delicious hamburgers and they were waiting in the refrigerator. And we also had a ripe avocado. I made a spicy sauce (chili, garlic, onion, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup) and we had a nice dinner. Can you taste it already?

The original recipe uses commercial yeast and I try to cut back on this because it’s not good for people with gout. Even though I’m bad with diets, I do try to keep an eye on the amounts of purine I eat. Just because the pain of a gout attack is something I want to avoid. 
The other change is that I didn’t made a nice coil, simply because I forgot and I love the feeling the dough gives when you turn them with cupped hands into nice round buns. And I thought 13 gram of sugar was enough. I try to use less sugar.

These buns are really great with hamburgers. The sesame seeds add an extra taste to the bun and they look nice.
Specifics
Name                               Seeded Brioche Hamburger Buns
Adapted from
                  Comme Ça, Los Angeles
Featured Blog BYOB           Girl versus Dough by Stephanie
Yields                               7 rolls
Dough temp.                     24°C
Levain build                      8 - 12 hours
Mixing                               5 - 6 minutes
Fermentation                    1 hour
Shape                               30 minutes
Proof at room temp.          1 hour
Prepare steam/bake          1 hour
Bake 230°C                       15 - 20 minutes                

This is what I used:

Dough
Milk, warm                                 45
Sourdough starter *                     56     
Sugar, granulated                        31 (I used
13 gram)
Eggs, large                                 2
All-purpose flour **                     374    
Salt                                           9
Butter, unsalted, softened           12
* 15% of total flour, instead of 21/4 teaspoon yeast      
** or 336 gram bread flour and 38 gram AP

Topping
Black/white sesame seeds            

This is what I did:
Levain:  the evening before (8 - 12 hours) I mixed the ingredients for the levain. I left it in a plastic container with a lid for the night in my kitchen.

Baking day
:
The dough: I added all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl of a spiral mixer and mixed until all was well combined. I mixed on first speed for 2 minutes and on second speed for 4 minutes. The dough should be supple and soft, with a high gluten development.

Bulk Fermentation:
 transfer the dough to a slightly oiled container, cover and leave for 1 hour. 
Shaping: I divided the dough into 7 pieces and loosely pre shaped into balls. Covered with a towel and left for 15 minutes to rest. I made balls instead of the coils, simply because I forgot. Secondly because I love the feeling of making beautiful round buns with cupped hands.
Transferred them to the floured linen couche, covered with a moist towel and a plastic bag.

Proofing: I proofed the rolls for 1 hour.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and placed the steam pan with stones on the bottom of the oven.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaves on parchment on a peel. Sprinkled black and white sesame seeds over them. Transfered them to the oven and quickly slide the rolls on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.

I baked the rolls 8 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the rolls for another 13 minutes. Probably after 15 minutes your rolls are golden brown and done, but in my oven it takes longer.

Cooling: Let the loaves cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread

What did you bake this month?



3 comments:

  1. I'm always a sucker for seeded breads and rolls - and these sound amazing. I am definitely going to have to make them next time I'm making burgers...or sandwiches...or chicken fillets...or...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, seeds definitely add some nice flavor and taste to bread.

      Delete