Friday, July 1, 2016

Potato Bread as sandwichbread




 This month Zorra of Bread Baking Day asked Susanne of Magentratzerl to be the host for BBD #84. Susanne came up with the theme "sandwich bread". I have to admit at first I had no idea what sandwich bread was. It's bread that can be roasted and is good for sandwiches. That sounds like good bread to me.

Today I make Dan Lepard’s crusty Potato Bread. The original recipe is found in his book “The Handmade Loaf”. I’ve tweaked it a bit, using whole wheat bran, rye and I love the smell and taste of wheat germ.

Because of the grated potato the dough was wet. I used the mixing method from Maggie Glezer’s Royal Tortano and let it mix until the dough cleaned the bowl. This took about 10 minutes. I could almost pour it into the slightly oiled bowl. But it was tacky in stead of sticky, a good thing.

I wanted to use my second hand cast iron pan to bake this bread. Thai food doesn't use 
cast iron pans; most Thai food is stir fried over high heat. 
Luckily for us our second hand cast iron pan was found in a second hand shop in Amsterdam 
and traveled in a backpack to our kitchen. 


This is what I used for 1 big loaf:
330 gr all purpose flour  
27 gr rye flour
45 gr whole wheat bran
10 gr wheat germ
160 gr lukewarm water
11 gr salt
27 gr honey
75 gr grated (uncooked) potato
250 gr active sourdough starter 100% hydration

This is what I did:
I peeled and grated the potato. The original recipe says to use unpeeled potato.
I added the sourdough starter to the lukewarm water and saw it floated nicely. I dispersed the sourdough in the water and added the honey, grated potato and all the flours. With a spoon I mixed all ingredients until they are all incorporated. I covered it with a towel and left it to autolyse for 30 minutes.

I sprinkled the salt and mixed on low speed for 3 minutes. Then I continued mixing on medium speed for 8 minutes until the dough cleaned the sides of the bowl.

I could almost pour the dough into a slightly oiled bowl. I covered it with a plastic bag and left to ferment for 1,5 – 2 hours. Every 50 minutes I stretched and folded the dough to give it more strength.

Pre shape the dough into a ball and cover it to rest for 15 minutes. Shape the dough into batard or boule as you like. Place it seam side up in a banneton or other proofing basket and into a plastic bag. I wanted to use my ceramic pan to bake the loaf, so I made a boule.
The original recipe says to retard it in the refrigerator overnight. Because we were going out the next day, I wanted to bake this bread the same day. I proofed it for 2 hours until it almost doubled in size.

Pre heat the oven, with baking stone and baking pan with hot stones.

Place the boule or batard on parchment paper on a peel. Boil hot water
I baked it at 230˚C for 15 minutes with steam and after removing the baking pan with hot stones I baked it another 35 minutes without steam.

Remove the loaf when it is nicely brown. It’s difficult to over bake bread. Leave the loaf in the oven with the door ajar for another 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.

I send this to Susanne of Magentratzerl. And to We Love Yeast, the new showcase of Zorra and Sandra. Go and have a look!


7 comments:

  1. Sandwichbread with rye and sourdough, this is great. It's quite hearty, I love breads like this. I will have to try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see how my partner Wesley Virgin's adventure launches with this shocking and controversial video.

    You see, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he found hidden, "self mind control" tactics that the government and others used to get everything they want.

    THESE are the same secrets lots of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and elite business people used to become rich and successful.

    You probably know that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's because most of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe that thought has even occurred IN YOUR very own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head about seven years back, while riding a non-registered, beat-up bucket of a car with a suspended license and in his bank account.

    "I'm absolutely frustrated with going through life paycheck to paycheck! When will I finally make it?"

    You've taken part in those types of thoughts, isn't it right?

    Your very own success story is going to be written. All you have to do is in YOURSELF.

    Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does one choose the best sandwich maker of the future? Will you find them in your local grocery store in the near future, or will you have to do a little searching online? In this article I'll give you the best way to compare all the different options out there for your next sandwich maker. visit here best sandwich maker under 1500

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen that every person wants to express their feelings but they are not able to express their feelings properly in words but the content you have written in your post is very beautiful, it seems that you have expressed your feelings Has expressed. Hi, you are a person who writes a very beautiful post, in the same way, you keep writing new posts in your life, our best wishes are with you. VIP Girl Gurugram
    DLF Phase 3 premium girl
    college girl gurgaon
    beautiful Girl Gurgaon
    online girl gurgaon
    Gurugram Girl Number
    Online Girl Number Dehradun
    Gurgaon girl number
    housewife Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  6. The piece is excellent and insightful. This test mimics the kinds of vibrations that a mobile device could encounter while being transported or handled; use this tool to discover more phone vibration test.

    ReplyDelete