Sunday, January 5, 2014

Millers loaves by Bourke Street Bakery


This bread tastes as good as it looks! With a 60% hydration it’s easy dough. I’m happy I baked 3 loaves instead of one.


Specifics Name        Millers loaves
Adapted from           Bourke Street Bakery
Yields                       3 loaves
Dough temp.             24°C
Autolyse                   30 minutes
Mixing                      4 minutes slow and 6-10 minutes medium speed
Fermentation            120 minutes
Stretch and Fold       1 time after 60 minutes
Shape                       batard or boule
Proof in refrigerator   12 hours and
Proof at roomtemp.   1 – 4 hours
Bake                         230°C 40 minutes; 20 with steam and 20 without

This is what I used:
Bakers formula     %      grams
Flour                  100         925
Water                 60         555
Salt                       2         18.5

Levain starter (2 feeds)
mature starter 100% hydration 85
unbleached all purpose flour 76 (2 feeds)
water 76 (2 feeds)

Final Dough
Unbleached all purpose flour 440
Whole wheat flour 145
Rye flour 145
Water 360
Salt 18.5
Mature starter 100% hydration 390

This is what I did:
16 hours before I prepared the levain by mixing all ingredients in a plastic bowl, covering with pastic and leave to ferment for the night.
I fed 76 grams of flour and 76 grams of water and left it to ferment for another 8 hours.

On baking day I mixed the flours and added them with water to the mixing bowl. I mixed until well combined, about 4 minutes. I left it for a 30 minute autolyse. Then I added the salt, levain and mixed for 6 minutes in my mixer until I reached a moderate gluten development.

Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 1 hour. Stretch and Fold once and leave for another hour to ferment.

Shaping: I divided the dough into 3 pieces and loosely shaped the dough into a batards, covered them with a towel and left for 15 minutes to rest. I shaped them into a tighter batards and placed them upside down in floured bannetons. Covered with plastic bags. Proofing: I proofed the loaves for 120 minutes (until they grew 2/3 in size).

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and prepared for steam.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven. I place the loaf on parchment on a peel and scored it with one slash lengthwise. Transfer to the oven and quickly slide the loaf on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam. I baked the loaves 20 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the loaf for another 20 minutes. Bake the loaves until they are dark brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaves cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful loaves! Happy New Year, I wish you and Peter all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I found your blog, thanks to Zorra, who gave me the link. My home is in Chiang Mai, at least 170 km from you, depending on the major city that you mentioned.
    Some of the terms used in your post here are new to me, although I have baked quite some bread in the last 7 years, though not so many in the last 3 years, my time in Thailand, because I am the only lover of bread with a good crust in the house.
    I will read more posts in your blog and hope therewith to get familiar with the terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete