Sunday, April 14, 2013

Baguette with grains and seeds


This month Cinzia of Cindystar is the lovely host for Bread Baking Day#58. She asked us to bake with seeds and flakes. Like most artisan bread bakers I too have a full pantry. It looks like it’s filling itself. Thank you, Cinzia for this great theme. Now I can use some of the delicious and healthy grains and seeds out the pantry.

Since I always enjoy baking with BBD I immediately got started because next week we’re off to see our family and friends in the Netherlands. We’re looking forward seeing our loved ones and hugging them. Even though it’s our choice to live here and we enjoy it a lot, still there are moments it would be great if we could say: ‘beam me up, Scotty’. And in a few seconds we could be there and join in a celebration or give some comfort in grieving. Now we have to travel for more than 20 hours, not including the waiting time. But, it will be worth it!

At this moment it’s the hottest season in Thailand and everybody is enjoying Songkran; Thai New Year. The temperature in our house is every dayabove 35°C and humidity is around 30% which makes it even hotter. This means I have to keep a close eye on the proofing of the dough. I bought an insulated box for this purpose. I will try it when we come back. But today I bake straight from the refrigerator. It made scoring easy and with a very hot oven there was a nice oven spring. The taste and smell is great and the extra flavor came from the grains and seeds I added. We loved the smell and taste of the seeds. It gave this great baguette something special.

I found the recipe for the best baguette of France 2006 on the blog of Plotzblog, who found it on the blog of MC’s Farine, who went to France and talked with the bakers of the contest and blogged about it, who found it …. We are happy with the recipe and thank all people involved.

Specifics
Name                                       Baguette with grains and seeds
Found at                                  Plotzblog
Yields                                       2 baguettes
Dough temp.                             24°C
Autolyse                                    0 minutes
Mixing                                      by hand until all combined
Fermentation                            60 minutes
Shape                                      baguette
Proof in refrigerator                 48 hours (
4-6°C)
Bake 230°C                              25 minutes; 10 with steam and 15 without

This is what I used:
Bakers formula                        %          grams
Flour                                        100       310
Water                                       77        240
Salt                                          2.2       7         

Dough
Unbleached wheat flour 550                  290      
Whole wheat flour                                 70
Water                                                  240
Salt                                                       7                                                         
Yeast, dried                                           2
Diastatic malt                                        2

Grains and seeds
multi grains                                          25
poppy seeds                                          25
sunflower seeds                                    25
flaxseeds, grounded coarse                    25       

This is what I did:
I placed all ingredients in a big plastic bowl with lid. With my hands I mixed until all ingredients were combined.

Bulk Fermentation: I placed the lid on the bowl and left it to ferment for 1 hour. Every 20 minutes I stretched and folded the dough to give it strength.

Proofing: I proofed the dough for 48 hours in the refrigerator.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and prepared for steam.

Shaping: 10 minutes before putting the baguettes in the oven I took the dough out of the refrigerator. I gently shaped the dough into 2 baguettes.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the baguettes on parchment on a peel and scored it them with 4 slashes about 5 degree from the centre. Transfer to the oven and quickly slide the loaf on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.
I baked the baguettes 10 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the baguettes for another 15 minutes. Bake the baguettes until dark brown colored.

Cooling: Let cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Cindystar the lovely host for BBD#58


5 comments:

  1. I always buy a compklete baguette when I am in France, so healthy and rich in flavour!
    Yours are beautiful, thanks so much for sharing in BBD!
    Hope your journey to Netherlands was ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cinzia, it was a joy to join BBD. Especially with your theme.
      Our journey to the Netherlands was great!

      Delete
  2. This sounds great, I hope I will remember this next time baguette comes up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also tasted great Ninive. Let me know when you baked it.

      Delete