Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Parmesan Cheese and Salami Rye Bread

I love to see what other people bake and I’m curious about their stories. A while back I found the blog of Judd of Weekendloafer.  It’s full of great looking breads and Judd’s story is about her beautiful mountain.
 I found this mouthwatering bread filled with blue cheese! We have some Dutch cheeses left in the refrigerator, but there’s no French blue cheese in there. I don’t complain, but …. the taste and smell of a nice blue cheese, hmmmm. And tucked in a lovely rye loaf it's  heavenly. 
But what can I tuck in my lovely rye loaf? I found a piece of Salami and some Parmesan cheese, which would be very nice too. 
Parmesan cheese
Salami
The choice was easy; today I bake Parmesan Cheese and Salami Rye BreadParmesan and Salami are eaten in Italy but also in France. So, it’s a French bread, n'est-ce pas?

Since this July is the month of Cindystar’s French Bread I will send this loaf to her. Cinzia of Cindystar  is the charming host of Bread Baking Day#52. She came up with a French theme for this month. I already baked a delicious Couronne Bourdelaise for BBD. 
Instead of two big loaves I followed Judd and baked four small loaves. I like to shape a loaf and decided to shape these loaves myself instead of using bread pans. The moment I’m writing this post I understand why Judd used the bread pans. Judd scored the loaves before proofing. I didn't. My loaves opened up and the filling almost poured out. It looked very rustic! Or is volcanic eruption a better description? Decide for yourself.
Anyway, the loaves tasted delicious and our house smelled like a baguetterie. Bon appétit!

Adapted from Daniel Leader’s Local Breads

Specifics
Yields                     4 small loaves
Dough temp.           24°C
Levain build            8 - 12 hours
Mixing                    6 minutes
Fermentaion            2.5 – 3 hours
Stretch/Fold            50 and 100 minutes
Shape                     30 minutes
Proof at roomtemp.  1.5 hours
Prepare steam/bake 1 hour
Bake 230°C             25 - 30 minutes

This is what I used:
Bakers formula        %        grams
Flour                      100     605
Water                     66      400
Salt                        2        12.1

Stiff Levain                      grams
Bread flour                       95
Whole Wheat flour             5
Water                              50
Mature Culture 80% hydr.    45

Final Dough
Bread flour                       305
Rye flour                          200
Wheat Germ                    12.5
Flax seed, grind                12.5
Water                              350
Salt                                 10     
Stiff Levain                     125

Filling
Parmesan cheese, diced      100
Salami, diced                    100
This is what I did:
Stiff Levain:  the evening before (8 - 12 hours) I mixed the ingredients for the levain. I left it in a plastic container with a lid for the night in my kitchen. 

Baking day
: a stiff starter is more forgiving than a liquid levain. But still I needed to get started. 
wheat germ and flax seed added
The final dough: I added all of the ingredients, except salt and the levain, in the mixing bowl of a spiral mixer and mixed until all was well combined. In the mean time we had breakfast. After 60 minutes I added salt and the levain. Judd wrote about a long autolyse which really helps the gluten develop

ready for a long autolyse
I mixed on first speed for 3 minutes and on second speed for another 3 minutes or so. The dough should have moderate gluten development.
before bulkfermentation
Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled container, cover and leave for 2 1/2 – 3 hours. Stretch and fold the dough two times at 50-minute intervals.

after bulkfermentation
Shaping: I divided into four pieces and loosely pre shaped into balls. Covered with a towel and left for 15 minutes to rest. 
I flattened the balls and placed the filling on top. 

Firmly but gently I rolled the dough tightly to avoid big gaps around the filling. 
Judd placed the loaves in baking pans and scored them. I didn’t use pans but scored them anyway. Next time I will score them just before placing them into the oven, because of the filling the top of the loaves busted open during proofing. Even though it gave them a rustic look.

Transferred them to the floured couche, covered with a moist towel and a plastic bag. 
filled and topped with extra cheese
Proofing: I proofed the loaves for 1,5 hours. Because of the warm/hot temperature in our house I watch them closely to prevent over proofing.
eruption of cheese
Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and placed the steam pan with stones on the bottom of the oven.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaves on parchment on a peel. Transfer them to the oven and quickly slide the loaves on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.
I baked the loaves 12 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the loaves for another 33 minutes. Bake the loaves until they are nicely brown colored and the cheese was melted.

Cooling: Let the loaves cool completely on a wire rack. Next time I will fill the loaves with slow roasted onion and garlic and one with kalamata olives and one with cheese and one with .....

I found the original recipe at Weekendloafer 
I send this to Cinzia of CindyStar, host of Bread Baking Day#52, to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread 
Go and check them all out! Bread Baking Day #52 - French Bread (last day of submission August 1st, 2012)

8 comments:

  1. This absolutely has my mouth watering, Connie. Just the shards of Parmesan and beautiful little bits of salami alone...but packed into a beautiful rye. If I added a bottle of wine, I'd have a tasty little meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, they were mouth watering. They disappeared in a blink even without wine.

      Delete
  2. I love your logic with this combo! That top photo is really inspiring - it looks like a wonderful rose opening ;-) opening to parmesan and salami! Yes, I'm with Heather, we just need a glass of the red!
    And then I'd love to try it with the blue cheese ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get blue cheese Tanna, you should go for it. If you see the photo Judd made of these little blue cheese rye loaves you run to the kitchen. Talking about mouth watering....

      Delete
  3. Mistake or not, this is a wonderful bread, très bon!
    And I like the volcanic rustic explosion :-)
    Could even smell it from here! :-)
    Thanks so much for your doubled participation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cinzia, volcanic rustic explosion is a great explanation for my loaf. Thanks for hosting BBD.

      Delete
  4. My entire family loves rye, salami and Parmesan cheese and it is often a snack or full meal, depending. By combining it all together you have made a wonderful and portable version, wow! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, we also love this combination. There are some golden combinations and this is one of them. It works on all the senses.

      Delete