Friday, March 9, 2012

Sprouted Wheat Sourdough

At the moment I’m into sprouting wheat. I’ve already “made” some wheat grass, diastatic malt powder and today I’m ready for sprouted wheat sourdough bread.
Off course I’ll share my experiences with you, as soon as it’s ready.
 While I’m typing this post we have eaten all the sprouted wheat sourdough bread; the taste is great. The sprouted wheat gives a soft and moist crumb.

It all starts with sprouting the wheat kernels. There are off course more ways to do this. This is the way I did it:
  • Put the organic* berries in a jar, add enough water and cover the berries. 
  • Put a towel over the jar and leave it for 6-8 hours on room temperature.
  • After 6-8 hours rinse the berries with clean water until the water is clear and place them in a clean towel. Close the towel with elastic band and leave for 12 hours.
  • After 12 hours you will see the sprouts coming out of the berries. If not, give it a bit more time.
  • If the berries have sprouted enough, grind them just enough to crush them. Preferably just before you add them to the dough.

You need organic berries; the pesticides and other chemicals concentrate in the kernel: the whole berry minus the husk. 

This is what I used for the SPROUTED WHEAT SOURDOUGH:
 300 g All purpose flour
200 g ground sprouted wheat berries
175 g water
0.5 g instant yeast
11 g salt
100 g sourdough starter mature 100%-hydration

This is what I did:
Combine all the final dough ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook. Mix on low speed to incorporate the ingredients, adjusting the water as needed to achieve a medium dough consistency. Continue mixing to a low-medium level of gluten development.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled container. Cover and leave to ferment for about 1.15 hours.

Pre shape the dough into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
Shape the dough into a batard and place, seam side up, into a couche or linen-lined baskets that have been lightly dusted with flour.

Cover with plastic and proof for about 2 hours, or until fully proofed (dough springs back slowly when pressed with a fingertip, and leaves a very slight indentation).
Preheat the oven, with baking stone, to 230°C. And place the bread pan with hot stones for steam.
Score the loaf and place in the oven. Bake with steam for 8 minutes, and another 32 minutes or so without steam until the crust has a deep brown color. Turn off the oven and leave the loaves in for another 10 minutes with the door cracked open.

Cool on a wire rack.
 I was inspired by Susan of WildYeast  
I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and Heather of Bake Your Own Bread 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely loaf. I'm always enthralled by those gorgeous rings from the basket!
    You inspire me to sprout some wheat berries.
    I've just recently found some sprouted wheat flour and used it in several different recipes. Makes for a beautiful aromatic wheat loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanna, go for it. It's fun to see the wheat kernels sprout. I had no idea that sprouted wheat flour also gives that nice flavor.

      Delete
  2. what a gorgeous loaf that is! I've been wondering about trying to sprout some things, but haven't tried it as of yet. I think I'd love this loaf! Thank you so much for sharing it w/ BYOB this month :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, I think you would like the taste and the flavor of sprouted wheat in this loaf. I love to share my breads with BYOB.

      Delete
  3. what are hot stones and how do they create steam? how else can i create steam if i don't have hot stones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, 'hot' stones are big pebbles I bought at the flower market. You can heat them well and they keep the heat tight. Especially the black or dark pebbles. I place the pan with stones on the bottom of your my oven when I pre heat the oven. When the oven is hot enough, I pour hot water over the hot stones and they produce steam. Be careful because the steam is hot too. If you can't find pebbles you can also use stainless steal bolts or nuts; they seem to produce the same steam.
      Hope this gives you the answer you're looking for. If you like to know more, you can also send me an email. Have a look at contact.

      Delete