Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yoghurt Semi Sourdough

We like to make our own yoghurt. It’s easy to do and delicious to eat. The yoghurt we can buy in Thailand is sweeter than we prefer. But, one day we ate yoghurt at a shop on a artisan market and this was delicious yoghurt; it had the sourness we like. The girl told us she makes her own yoghurt. So, on the way home we knew it was a matter of time before we would make our own yoghurt. Every time we go to Mae Sai we visit her shop for a cup of yoghurt with caramel sauce and fresh whipping cream! She has a very nice shop in this border town in the North of Thailand. Whenever you visit, go for fresh yoghurt.

When I saw the yoghurt bread Zorra made, I knew I had to bake it. We also make our own yoghurt cheese and it is probably great on this bread.

The crumb was soft and the crust crunchy, great bread I will bake again. The flowerpot works better when steaming, than the hot stones in boiling water, but the pot is heavier to handle.


This is what I used for 1 medium-size loaf:
80 g active sourdough (Zorra advised to use 150 g, but this is all I had)
3.5 g instant yeast (or 7 g fresh yeast)
500 g wheat flour
205 g water (I withheld some water, probably 10 g)
120 g our home made yoghurt
11 g salt

This is what I did:
Dissolve sourdough in 50 g of the water, added the rest with the flour and poured the yeast on top. Add all ingredients except of the salt in the bowl of the mixer and knead on low speed for 4 minutes. Autolyse for about 20 minutes. Added salt and mix for another 10 minutes on medium speed until you have a smooth dough. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour, after 30 minutes make one stretch and fold.Shape dough into a long loaf and place with seam side down in a floured banneton. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.During proofing the seam opened up a bit. The dough was satin soft and I was maybe too careful when shaping it. I just pinched the seam together.

Preheat oven to 240 C. I will use steam with my flowerpot.

Remove the loaf carefully from banneton and place it on parchment. Score with a lame. Bake for 10 minutes with steam. Remove the flowerpot and parchment and bake another 15-20 minutes.

Remove loaf from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

I found this at Zorra’s blog
I will send this loaf to Yeastspotting



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment